- Junior Cert
- Poetry Study Guides
- CHANGING THE WORLD / THE FUTURE X 7
- TEENAGERS (responsibilities / stress / culture of youth) x 4
- EDUCATION X 4
- NATIONAL IDENTITY X 4
- THE PAST X 5 (memory was the theme in 2012)
- SCIENCE X 2
- HEROES X 2 + Debate: we live in an “unheroic” era
- CELEBRITY X 2
- CONSUMERISM X 2
- FUN / HAPPINESS X 2
- ROMANCE / RELATIONSHIPS X 2
- BOOKS/LITERATURE x 2
- TRUTH / LIES x 2
- CLOTHES x 2 (how they reveal your personality)
- MUSIC x 2
- COMMUNITY / NEIGHBOURS x 2
- THE PRESENT x 2
Other topics that have only appeared once include tv & radio, celebrating ordinary people, tourist attractions, urban vs rural lifestyles, family, sport, performance, travel, laws, gossip, discrimination, smoking ban, mobile phones, technology, time, marvels in the world today, glimpsed moments.
Feelings come up almost every year but they always name a specific one – so far they’ve included: freedom, indecision, daydreams, imagination, hope, wonder and the ones that came up twice listed above (happiness, love, truth).
Some topics that haven’t appeared yet but that MIGHT come up (& I’m just guessing here!) include:
INTERNET / SOCIAL NETWORKING
THE PRESENT (the importance of living in the moment) – *I WAS RIGHT!!! This came up in 2012! (Write about having “all the time in the world”) & 2013 (“the everyday treadmill & the gilded promises of life”).
Some feelings that haven’t appeared yet but that MIGHT come up (& again I’m just guessing here!) include:
You could collect ideas for topics without having to write the entire essay. See below!
STATISTICS / FACTS:
VIVID IMAGERY: Picture the scene….
ANECDOTE: (don’t forget the hyperbole)
- A long slow goodbye…
- Lear’s journey
- Some themes in Lear…
- King Lear – Plot Chronology
- King Lear quotes (in translation!)
- Justice in King Lear – how to construct an answer…
- The Old Warrior and Me
- Single text options…
- Tackling the Comparative
- Reading Shakespeare (Othello)
- Game Based Learning
- Originality – Freshness – Energy – Style