For Danielle and all my wonderful fifth years, as requested. Should help you with your comprehension question “Identify and comment on four features of effective speech writing“! Remember to
- Identify the technique – include quotes / examples
- Comment on the effect of this technique on you – how it makes you feel, what image it creates in your mind, what it makes you think, how it changes your perception and gives you a new way of looking at the issue.
- Welcome the audience
- Introduce yourself (unless you’re really really famous!)
- Use informal language & slang (depends on context / audience)
- Involve the audience (personal pronouns / ask questions / interactive)
- Use humour
- Mention celebrities & cartoon characters
- Include pauses & gestures
- Facts & statistics
- Varied sentence length
- Personal Anecdotes
- Strong opinions expressed – backed up with relevant and logical examples.
- Rhetorical Questions
- Repetition of key phrases (or plant and pay-off)
- Proper nouns
- Urgent references to time
- Emotive language / Sensationalism / Dramatics
- Vivid feckin imagery!
- Thank the audience at the end.
If you want a more detailed discussion of the general effect of individual techniques, look here but remember, when you discuss the effectiveness of a technique in a text, you MUST make your answer zoom in on how the technique works in this SPECIFIC EXAMPLE, not in general.
10 responses to “Features of Effective Speech-Writing”
Pingback: Reflection #12: Leaving Certenglish | Lindsie Stenzel